This Week’s GOSPEL PASSAGE: John 2:13-22
Questions to Ponder [adapted from Ashes to Fire Adult Bible Study Guide]
- Are you surprised or uncomfortable with Jesus’ anger in this passage? Why or why not?
- What was it specifically about the seller’s actions that Jesus was so angry about?
- This passage takes place as the people are preparing for Passover.
- What were the Israelites called to remember during the Passover?
- In this context, how are the actions of the sellers and money exchangers an offense?
- Are there other times in the Scripture that you see Jesus get angry or speak aggressively?
- What were the circumstances that surrounded Jesus’ anger?
Record your thoughts in your Ashes to Fire journal.
Life Application [adapted from Ashes to Fire Adult Bible Study Guide]
- How would you describe “righteous anger”? Can you share a few examples of righteous anger?
- What are some examples of inappropriate anger?
- What is usually associated with inappropriate anger?
- What can you do to eliminate inappropriate anger in your life?
For additional Scripture reading and study: