Passage: Amos 5:1-17
Verse: Amos 5:14 (NIV 2011)
Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is.
This passage, in the NIV 2011 version of the Holy Bible, is titled A Lament and Call to Repentance. We read of the reasons for the Lord’s lamentation. He calls for His people to repent and turn from their evil ways. In an earlier passage we learned of the remnant. It is mentioned in this passage too. We can be… and may we be… found among the remnant. To that end, may we choose to focus upon those things in this passage that, in addition to a genuine heart of repentance, will guide us toward restoration.
- This is what the Lord says to Israel: “Seek me and live…”[v. 4].
- Again, we are told: Seek the Lord and live… [v. 6a].
- We are also reminded that the prudent [the wise, the practical, and those who exercise good judgment and common sense] keep quiet in such times, for the times are evil [v. 13].
- May we keep looking ahead to the future and remember to seek good, not evil, that [we] may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is [v. 14].
- May we hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. [Then], perhaps the Lord God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph.
(inspired by Reflecting God – Devotions for Holy Living, WordAction Publishing Company)