Passage: Psalm 51:1-19
Verse: Psalm 51:4(NIV 2011)
Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight.
May this be our prayer today, that the Lord, our God will:
- Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin [v. 1-2].
- Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me [v. 10-12].
In return, may this be our reasonable service:
- I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you [v. 13].
- My mouth will declare your praise [v. 15].
- My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise [v. 17].
Amen… and amen.
(inspired by Reflecting God – Devotions for Holy Living, WordAction Publishing Company)