Passage: 1 John 3:11-24
Verse: 1 John 3:18 (NIV)
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
So what do we read of in this passage of Scripture? We read that:
- we are not to be surprised when those we know choose to mistreat or hate us
- loving one another is directly connected to having eternal life
- knowing what love is… is seen in the actions of an individual
- do [or would] they lay down their lives for another
- do they help others in need, if able to do so
- in actions and in truth, not merely in words or speech, they show their love for others.
We also read that even when our hearts condemn us, that God is greater and knows all. He provides us a way for us to be redeemed. May we believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us [v. 23]. May we be reassured in knowing that the one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us [v. 24]. (inspired by Reflecting God – Devotions for Holy Living, WordAction Publishing Company)