Passage: 1 John 4:13-21
Verse: 1 John 4:18 (NIV)
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
Sometimes even the basics of the Christian faith are not clearly communicated or known. In this passage, we are reminded of some of the basics.
- God loves us.
- Our faith in God is to be based on love, not fear.
- As Christians, we believe, as this passage indicates, that:
- the Spirit of God lives within us
- the Father sent His Son, Jesus, to be the Savior of the world
- if anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God [v.15].
- We are to love God and love others.
May we feel God’s love for us today. May we show the love that God has for us by extending His love to others around us in meaningful ways. May our love for God spring out of His love for us, not because we fear Him or the wrath to come. (inspired by Reflecting God – Devotions for Holy Living, WordAction Publishing Company)